Sunday, March 20, 2011

#104 The Silence Where Sound Should Be

I read something a couple of days ago that bothered me.
The obvious cause was comments regarding asylum seekers, but after some thought I realised that the other reason it irked me was that the comment on "boat people" was a flippant remark included in a piece supporting marriage equality.
I felt that the throw away lines following on from the topic trivialised & undermined the point that was being made.

Sometimes I don't take every opportunity that I should to be vocal about things that are important.
It isn't that I don't have an opinion, & it certainly isn't because I don't care.
I think there are two explanations for my silence at times when I should speak up.
The first is that I worry that I won't be able to express myself eloquently enough, & will do even the slightest damage to the side of a (for lack of a better word) debate that I am passionate about.
The second is that sometimes when things seem so incredibly obvious & simple - that two people in love should have the choice to commit to each other & celebrate that commitment in any way they choose, that it should be recognised by law regardless of whether they have fallen in love with a man or a woman - that I can't see how anyone could possibly disagree.
Especially when there is absolutely nothing to lose & so much to be gained.
Given that it's a somewhat moot point to discuss it purely for the purpose of having someone say 'hear hear' & rather more for the odd chance that someone might pause to examine their way of thinking & consider what it is that they are actually afraid of, I find it difficult to see what I could possibly say to someone who doesn't already see the logic in human rights. Be they rights for the LGBT community or for asylum seekers.

Sometimes people’s ignorance is painful to see & it's easier to ignore, but that doesn't make it the right thing to do.
I support love.
I support marriage equality.
There are people in my life that I love with all my heart who do not have the rights they should.
Their love for each other is honest, it is beautiful & the strength of their relationships are truly enviable.

I dread the day that I will have to attempt to explain to my son that they do not have the choice as his father & I did to marry.
That I will have to tell him that close minded & ignorant people can affect others lives in such a profoundly ridiculous way.

I hope that I will never have to.

C x

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
Dr.Martin Luther King Jr.

2 comments:

  1. Miss C, you are brilliant. I agree with you COMPLETELY. Every single word and sentiment of this post is exactly what I think and feel. Hear, hear! :-)

    ReplyDelete